Chicagoland Home Inspectors Inc. offer professional home inspections in the greater Chicago area, located in Northbrook Illinois. We also do commercial building inspections in Chicago, Illinois. Charles Bellefontaine & Associates are the only home inspectors to guarantee all of their home inspections. With over 25 years of experience for each of our inspectors, and being certified to train other inspectors; Charles Bellefontaine & Associates knows how to properly inspect a home, we guarantee it. We are licensed by the State of Illinois, fully insured and able to provide home inspections throughout the Chicago Metropolitan Area.
A little history about Northbrook, IL
The Potawatomi tribe led by Chief Shabbona was the earliest recorded residents of the Northbrook area were. In the year 1833, the tribe left their land in Illinois and relocated near Council Bluffs, Iowa. Joel Sterling Sherman and his family bought 159 acres for $1.25 per acre in the northwest quarter of Section 10. This land is now the Northbrook Central Business District.
Soon after Mr. Sherman bought that land the area was named Shermerville after Mr. Frederick Schermer who donated the land for the first railroad station (which is no known as Schermer Station). By the 1870’s the region was a farm town with well-established brickyards which prospered during the rebuilding that followed the Great Chicago Fire in October of 1871. The old brick yard is now the home of Underwriters Laboratory. If you travel their property, you can see the quarry where the materials for the bricks were removed.
In 1901 following a close referendum, the town was incorporated as Shermerville with about 60 homes and 311 residents. By 1921, residents felt that the Shermerville name had a bad reputation. After a contest, the new name of Northbrook, submitted by Edward Landwehr, was adopted as the official name in 1923. At that time there were 500 residents. Landwehr Road was named after this man.
Northbrook did not grow rapidly until after World War II when subdivisions of homes were first developed. In 1940 the population was 1,265, but by 1960 the population was 11,635. Another growth spurt was stimulated by the completion in 1963 of a water line to bring Lake Michigan water to Northbrook’s new water treatment plant. By 1970 the population had more than doubled to 25,422. The current population is 33,435 (2000 census).